Resource Efficiency in Agri-food Production and Processing (REAP)
Contract № ACA/2019/412-122
Countries: Uzbekistan, Tajikistan
The action seeks to improve sustainability in the agri-food production and processing industries in two ways:
- Targeting fast, cost-efficient SCP measures, showcasing the business case of such measures and creating a win-win mind-set in MSMEs;
- Building MSMEs capacity to deal innovatively with challenges in natural resource shortages and creating ecosystems for SCP and supply-chain integration.
- MSMEs in the agri-food production and processing industries
- Local business consultants
- National and international financing institutions
- Ministries, executive agencies and local authorities
- Industry clusters & associations for agri-food production and processing
Focus of the action:
Promote SCP practices in the agri-food production and processing industries along the entire supply chain, while creating an enabling environment through clusters and by building on current national development strategies, integrating SCP incentives. The SCP practices will focus on resource-efficiency in agri-food production and processing and apply approaches for dealing with resource shortfalls. This will cover increasing the efficiency of water usage, reduction of food-losses and decreasing other energy and resource inefficiency. The process of clusterization will seek to enhance the competitiveness of local businesses.
SDGs related to your action:
- SDG 7 - Affordable and clean energy: Improve energy efficiency & foster renewable energy usage in industries.
- SDG 8 - Decent work and economic growth: Promote safe and secure working environments to create decent work for all.
- SDG 9 - Industry, innovation & infrastructure: Sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- SDG 12 - Responsible consumption and production: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- SDG 13 - Climate action: Improve access to finance and strengthened capacities of financial institutions and policy makers for climate smart mechanisms and frameworks.
- SDG 17 - Partnerships for the goals: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
- Introduction and improvement of SCP measures and technologies in 400 MSMEs in agri-food production and processing;
- Increased efficiency by 20% on energy, 10% resources (including water) and 15% waste generation within participating companies;
- 10% of participating companies supported in applying for funding for bankable projects;
- Capacity building of 40 local experts on SCP practices for replication;
- Capacity building of 20 consultants and experts from financial institutions on suitable financial instruments for SCP solutions;
- Capacity building of 20 national or regional policy makers, advisors and government bodies and institutions on SCP policy mechanisms;
- Improved clusterization and ecosystem development for SCP involving all stakeholders.